Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Walking Time..

I%26#39;ve attempted to read old posts to figure this out, but have had no success. I%26#39;m trying to get a feel for the distances between areas and how long the walk would be between them. This will help me figure out when to walk and when to take public transportation. Hopefully someone can help me. If I stood at the Theatre National De L%26#39;Odeon (near my hotel) and wanted to leisurely stroll to Notre Dame, how long would that take? If someone can help me with this, then I think I can better gauge other distances. Thanks in advance..




|||



Hi





I can%26#39;t tell you how long it will take. But if you check out http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ then you will be able to measure the distance and that should give you an idea of how long it will take...providing you know how long it takes for you to normally walk e.g. a mile :-)





I went to Paris last year with my wife and we stayed for a week. I have a trip report that I can share with you if you are interested. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I%26#39;ll get back to you.





Regards



Gard




|||



www.mappy.com




|||



mich-noto: www.mappy.com works pretty well, as well. Type in your start/end points (it works well with landmarks), and click on Pedestrian. It will give you turn by turn directions, distance, and an estimated time.



A %26quot;leisurely%26quot; stroll from the Odeon Metro to the square in front of Notre Dame is maybe 10-15 minutes. Could be done in 5 if you were really huffing it....30 if you take your time and look in every storefront along the way. If I were having a converstation about it with a friend, I think I would describe as %26quot;practically right around the corner....I mean...go two blocks around the corner to the end of the Blvd St. Michel and look to your right and Voila!, there she is.%26quot;



In other words, it%26#39;s not very far.




|||



Thank you so much for your advice. Planning a vist to Paris is a process: first deciding generally what to see, but then the realization sets in that it would be wise to have some idea as to how to get to those places! Your input is giving me confidence. Thanks again.




|||



I took this relatively easy walk for the first time about 30 years ago! I arrived in Paris after an overnight on the boat ferry from London. My first trip to Europe (and first trip to just about anyplace outside of the midwest for that matter). As instructed by friends I went to the tourist bureau on the Champs Elysees (no longer there) and they booked me into a small hotel (St. Marie Gallo) on Rue du Four. It was old and charming from another era, and a whole budget busting 9 dollars a night! It was about dusk (December, short days) by the time I got settled, had something to eat, and decided to venture out to the first attraction I wanted to see--Notre Dame. I traced out a route on my map and started out. Before going too far I passed this patisserie, nicely lighted and inviting in the dusk with its fantastic display of wonderful, wonderful pastries framed by the old fashioned, quaint shop windows. It took me a minute to realize that this place called Paris really existed and wasn%26#39;t something in a dream or a story book!




|||



That sounds like the beginning of a charming novel! I would eagerly turn the page if it was....Thank you for sharing.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, August 26, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment