Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What to do in a Medical Emergency?

IN the US we have it ingrained in our heads... dial 911 and when living there, I learned (from experience) that if you call they will send somebody, even if you don%26#39;t say a word on the other end of the receiver.



In Paris, things are a bit different, as I found out this morning.



1) Do NOT do as I did and use N. American logic , calling the SAMU (medical emergency number). Call the FIre Dept. The number is 18.



The reason for this is that the SAMU a) takes longer to get there b) wants you to pay in advance before taking you to a hospital if you don%26#39;t have your French insurance info on your person (nothing like taking out the checkbook and writing a check in your second language as someody writhes in pain before your eyes, and most tourists wouldn%26#39;t even HAVE a checkbook).



2) If you do call and they give you some insane estimate on the amount of time it will take for the ambulance to arrive, and they absolutely will NOT budge on the subject, hang up and call back immediately, letting them know things have gotten worse. This gets the desired response (immediate assistance).



Again, in a medical Emergency, dial 18.



Hope none of you ever has to use this info.




|||



Hi Phead





I hope whomever it was you needed emergency for this morning is OK and got to hospital and had the necessary care? Touch wood!




|||



Thanks for the advice .



Most all of the guide books tell one to call the fire department # 18 in case of an emergency for an ambulance to the nearest emergency room.



The guide books tell you that S.A.M.U. is an independently privately owned ambulance service.



To call the police dial # 17.



Also most guide books tell one that if one is receiving reciprocal health care to make sure one calls an %26quot;honoraires opposables%26quot; doctor ( linked to the national health care system) because legally they can not charge more than 17 euros for a consultation. Doctors registered as %26quot; honoraires libres%26quot; can charge whatever they like, and their fees will not be reimbursed under reciprocal heallth care agreements.



For American Tourists who want English speaking doctors on call 24 hours the American Hospital 63 bd,Victor-Hugo, Neuilly is the place to contact. Blue Cross and other American insurances are accepted by their bilingual staff.



Also from personal experience the American Hospital also has bilingual dental staff on duty also.




|||



Faux - I hope so as well



Discover - good to know that it is in the guidebooks. I didn%26#39;t have time for that and consulted the list that the Marie de Paris had sent to us at one point (I had posted inside a cabinet door). It lists the SAMU with the Police and Pompiers as emergency numbers. Don%26#39;t know how these are listed in Hotel rooms.




|||



I think that when I had to call in Colliure the phone had it listed #18 for fire department first and the second listed # was 17 for police.





It was a couple years ago I had to call from my Paris hotel and I think it was the same.




|||



Discover - I am sure that the numbers are the same. What I meant was;



I don%26#39;t know if hotels provide a list with all emergency three numbers together, as does the mairie, or if they distinguish among them as they do in guidebooks. It may be an important detail to note should hte need arise.




|||



I think only the two were listed on the hotel phone itself ( a sticker) in Colliour last July .





I think it was posted on the phone in Paris also....but it has been a couple of years since I called in Paris.





I do not recall if they were listed on the phone in my last summer Paris hotel or on the back of the door with emergency exit information list.




|||



I do remember that several other towns we visited had only the two numbers listed in the Hotel Information booklet but not on the phones themselves.




|||



Phread,





I hope everyone is safe at your home. Please send me a private mail if you feel so. I could be of help with a pharmacist husband...




|||



We are all well, Anne. Thank you for your concern.




|||



Phread,





How terrific of you to think of the rest of us in the aftermath of dealing with an emerency situation. Hope all is well.





Thanks.





Holger

No comments:

Post a Comment