Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Munich to Bayeux

Hi, everyone. I need to get from Munich to Bayeux. Can anyone tell me which trains I need to go on? I know I have to go through Paris, but that%26#39;s about all I know. Thanks!




|||



http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en



Munich to Paris is about a 9 hour trip, 10 hours by the night train. I think the latter is the only direct train.



Paris to Bayeux will take about 2.5 hours and most routings will require a change in Caen. You will need to allow time to change stations in Paris from either gare du Nord or Gare de l%26#39;Est to Gare St. Lazare.




|||



You might look into flying to Paris with Air Berlin.




|||



Hello, again, Irish! :)





That website would be great if I could figure out how to deal with it; I don%26#39;t need a return journey, but I can%26#39;t do anything without entering one.





We%26#39;d probably do an overnight train -- none of the airlines we%26#39;ve looked at, including AirBerlin, fly to Paris at a time we%26#39;d want. It looks like we%26#39;d have to hang out in a Paris station for a while in the wee hours of the morning, but that shouldn%26#39;t be too horrible, right?





Requesting info from your vast expertise...Should we buy our tickets in Munich via bahn to Paris, and then separately buy our ticket from Paris to Bayeux? Or should we just buy our ticket at the Munich train station all the way to Bayeux?





Thanks :)




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; That website would be great if I could figure out how to deal with it; I don%26#39;t need a return journey, but I can%26#39;t do anything without entering one. %26lt;%26lt;%26lt;



Sure you can. Just enter the details of your date and time and leave the return trip data boxes blank. It works for me...



The direct night train leaves Munich at 20:56 and arrives Paris Gare de l%26#39;Est at 06:54. The Deutsche Bahn site won%26#39;t reveal a price for this train. When you click on %26quot;Order%26quot; it will give you a text box where you can send a request to the service center for a fare quote. Apparently tickets can only be sent by mail, not printed.



There is another night train that leaves München-Pasing, presumably a suburban station, at 01:34 arriving Paris Est at 10:24. That one is showing a fare of 118€20 in a compartment with ordinary seats. A couchette would cost more. My guess is that the 20:56 night train would probably be more expensive.



I have forgotten (if I ever knew...) when you are making this great trek. I mention this because Paris-Bayeux advance purchase PREMs fares are as low as 15€. The full fare in second class is about 32€ IIRC. There are not a lot of direct trains to Bayeux but the transfer in Caen is not a big deal for the timings that require this. I know there are trains as early as about 07:00 and probably every couple of hours or so through the day after that. I think your best bet would be to book the Paris-Bayeux leg of your trip separately at www.voyages-sncf.com. (Why would you not spend a day or two in Paris? Or are your time costraints such that you can%26#39;t?)



You will have to get from Gare de l%26#39;Est to Gare St. Lazare in Paris. There isn%26#39;t a convenient métro connection between the two stations. You might try playing around on www.ratp.fr to see if you can find a good bus connection. Otherwise a shortish walk to the Magenta RER station at Gare du Nord and you can get to St. Lazare fairly easily from there.



Did we have any unfinished business on your other thread about Bayeux and London? IIRC you wanted to visit Normandy from Paris and end up in Brighton all on the same day. I think we convinced you that that wasn%26#39;t possible but I%26#39;ve forgotten if there were any other issues. If there were do me a favour and bump the thread to the top because I have lost track of it in the meantime.



Hope all this is helpful.




|||



We were able to book round trip PREM fares for May direct to Bayeux from Paris without a change in Caen. I don%26#39;t have the tickets handy, but think the Paris departure time was around 10:30 AM or thereabouts. (I just rememeber that it will allow us a pretty much a full afternoon in Bayeux that day).




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Hope all this is helpful.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





You%26#39;re always helpful!! :)





%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; Sure you can. Just enter the details of your date and time and leave the return trip data boxes blank. It works for me... %26lt;%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





Yeah, I thought that%26#39;s all I had to do, too, but oddly it didn%26#39;t work out that way. It just gave me error notices. I was able to check the times, though, eventually by adding a random return date.





We%26#39;re making the trip in April. What we eventually decided, and had to do because of some issues with our tour company in Normandy, was we%26#39;d come in from Munich to Paris overnight, spend the day in Paris, then head up to Bayeux in the afternoon/evening, check into our hotel, spend a few days in Bayeux, then go back to Paris and spend a few more days there and fly to London. It works out surprisingly well even if we have to technically back-track. I%26#39;m not too worried about the transition in Caen if there is one. As for the transition between train stations in Paris, we%26#39;ll just wander to St. Lazare during the day because it%26#39;s not as difficult; thanks for the tip about which RER line to take, though!





As for the actual train we%26#39;ll be taking now from Munich to Paris, my boyfriend and I debate about what to do because he%26#39;s found some deal with Eurail and/or a pass that helps us get around the various countries we%26#39;re visiting in April, which supposedly is less expensive that just buying all of our tickets directly (and separately) in each city and we even get private rooms.





I%26#39;ll look into the PREM, because that sounds perfect to get us from Paris to Bayeux.





What would we do without you, IrishRovr?? ;)




|||



Sounds like you%26#39;ve got most things pretty much under control. I still do not understand the problem you are having with the German rail site but if you%26#39;ve found a work-around that seems to be OK.



Be careful with the railpass idea. You will have to pay extra for reservations (and in some cases supplements) for almost all long distance trains. These range from about 3€ to as much as 25€ or more on day trains. I%26#39;m not sure what your BF has been told but AFAIK the supplements for accommodation on night trains can be pretty hefty. I have never heard of a railpass that provides free private cabins. Doesn%26#39;t mean it dioesn%26#39;t exist, but I don%26#39;t think so...



Let me know if I can help with anything else.



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment