Thursday, March 29, 2012

Gare de Nord Metro/Eurostar

Someone has mentioned in a post that the Metro was downstairs/below the railroad station.





So when I get off the Eurostar do you go into the station and then there are signs directing you to the Metro station/lines?





I have mapped out my route, longer than route planner but bypasses the Châtelet stop/station which I understand is quite a long walk between connections.




|||



I believe when you get off the train you are actually IN the station... that%26#39;s how it is with the Thalys. You walk from the platform into a wide open %26#39;hall%26#39; and from there you will see signs pointing to the metro. Between the Eurostar, Thalys and then the metro tunnels are the ticket windows for your metro tickets or pass. You might try the %26#39;bar car%26#39; on board the train before arriving in Paris to see if they sell metro tickets, then you can bypass the ticket windows and get on to the metro to your hotel.




|||



It%26#39;s been awhile since I%26#39;ve had to do it but if I remember correctly, your RER ticket was good for continuing travel on the Metro. Try using your RER ticket to enter the Mztro before you buy a Metro ticket.




|||



travelnutty: thanks for the tip about the tickets I%26#39;ll have to check it out. Hey I%26#39;m going to hit the bar car anyway, well maybe.





It%26#39;s been a long time since I made that particular trip and I was at the station about 6 AM. All I vaguely remember is walking down a very long corridor and then up an escalator for checkin and on return late I took a taxi back to hotel.




|||



metromole -



You are up WAY too early! Go have a cup of coffee and then you%26#39;ll be awake enough not to confuse the Eurostar with the RER!



It must be all these new Paris Expert responsibilities that are causing the nuits blanches... :-)




|||



How embarrassing. You%26#39;re right except I%26#39;m actually up way too late. I haven%26#39;t even been to bed yet.




|||



You can spot the metro by looking for a giant yellow M. It will be to the left of the area where the Eurostar arrives, then you go down stairs and continue to follow the signs. And, actually, line 4 and line 14 are not a long walk if you change at Chatelet. I do it all the time. If you can get tickets in the bar car on the train, that would be great because there are always really long lines to get metro tickets at Gare du Nord.




|||



When you arrive with Eurostar or Thalys, turn left and go one level down where the access to the metro is. It looks like you have to buy your ticket from machines and it is very crowded down there. I do not remember seeing a person selling tickets.




|||



You can buy Metro carnets from the Eurostar office at Waterloo before you travel - beat the queues.




|||



%26gt;%26gt; So when I get off the Eurostar do you go into the station and then there are signs directing you to the Metro station/lines? %26lt;%26lt;





As previously stated, there is a giant M that will point you to the Métro acess staircases. However, inside SNCF stations, the signage is SNCF responsibility - and they take some %26quot;pride%26quot; in keeping %26quot;their%26quot; giant Ms in white-on-blue livery ...





Gian yellow Ms are found over the street accesses (and not all of them, incidentally, some do retain the former %26quot;Art Nouveau%26quot; or %26quot;Art Déco%26quot; designs).




|||



haha, the first time we were in Paris I thought the large yellow M signs were for a McDonalds, so I kept looking elsewhere for the nearest metro station!

No comments:

Post a Comment