Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Wine corkage/taking bottle out of restaurant

In the US some states have what is know as corkage. If you purchase wine with dinner, the waiter leaves the cork and you take the bottle (and wine) home





In the restaurant , so you usually had a choice of by the glass or the standard size bottle.





Can you do the same in Paris?




|||



I believe some establishments will allow the %26quot;merlot-to-go%26quot; plan, not sure if it is widespread.



At most restaurants, you can order some wines by the glass, carafe (varying amounts), half-bottle or bottle. These options will vary depending on the wine itself, and will be shown as such on the wine list.




|||



When there%26#39;s a house wine available, carafe or pichet, it%26#39;s usually going to be pretty good.





Corkage in the US refers to the charge when you bring your own wine to a restaurant.




|||



I have never heard %26#39;corkage%26#39; as refering to taking wine from a restaurant





in the US corkage as in %26#39;corkage fee%26#39; refers to bringing your own wine to the restaurant -- it is the cost for uncorking and serving -- i.e. a mandatory BYO fee -- many country clubs do this for members who have their own exceptional wine cellars





we once wanted the proprietor of a wine store to uncork our bottle as we hadn%26#39;t brought a corkscrew -- apparently there was some sort of law that prohibited him from sending us out with an open bottle --but after our please of need, he agreed to do so but he elaborately wrapped it in paper so it was not %26#39;ready to drink%26#39; --- don%26#39;t know if this justg applies to a wine store or would apply to a restaurant taking an open bottle out the door




|||



I would not ask the waiter if I could take the bottle with me - I don%26#39;t know, but my stomahcfeeling tells me that it would be braking the rules of etiquette.





Rather buy ½-bottles or small pichets - or maybe wine by the glass which is almost always IME very good.




|||



I am not sure this is done eventhough I have done it a few times in my neighborhood when I was alone. When there is a wine sold by the bottle only that I like, I discuss this with the waiter, tell him that I want this particular wine (i.e. I love Sancerre rouge and it is seldom sold by the glass) and that I will take the rest of the bottle.




|||



I think that you have to develop a pretty good relationship with the server, as la photographe does, or really not care what peole think of you.



As for corkage in the US, it is illegal to drive with an open bottle in many states, so not sure how that could work.




|||



Well, the waiter I asked gave me misinformation. I have no idea what it is called then other then taking bottle with you.





It is legal in Texas (some establishments will dispute) and Louisiana. No sure about Missouri as I have not bought a bottle at a restaurant here.





However correct on the open bottle in vehicles. Texas passed a law several years ago that any containers holding alcohol could not be within reach of driver or passenger (for many years you could actually drink in vehicle, driver, and passenger). They also have dry areas where you have to have a membership card to order alcoholic beverages In some states you cannot have drink in public, meaning walking with or in park (forget that picnic with wine). In New Orleans you can they actually have places where all they sell is frozen drinks to go.





However thanks for all the answers, I guess I will stick with house wine.




|||



Penny - you don%26#39;t have to stick to house wine. Many %26quot;fine%26quot; chateau-wines are sold in ½-bottles, so you can try different types (even if more expensive than house wine).





Make a search for %26quot;wine bars%26quot; and you will numerous thread wiht suggestions of where to go to sample good wine by the glass.





My favorite: Taverne Henri IV on the tip of Ile de la Cité (Place du Pont Neuf) - in the basement of the left building if you are facing Place Dauphine.




|||



Those fine chateau wines are also available by the glass.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment