Thursday, April 19, 2012

eurail discount on the RER in paris

Hi there!



We are in paris tonight and planning to go to Versailles tomorrow.



We have a saver france-benelux eurail pass and it says that the RER system is free for those who hold a validated pass.





A question:



1) Am I able to validate my pass at a metro or RER station by an official? Or do I need to go to another railway station (such as gare du nord which has trains like thalys and eurostar?)



-- I don%26#39;t speak much french, and I don%26#39;t want them to use up a valuable flexi day. I%26#39;m nervous they might think that I want to use a flexi day and ask me to write it in, rather than issue me a free ticket. The Eurail guidebook very clearly states that the RER system is free for those who have a VALIDATED PASS. I wonder if they will know this, and I am concerned about the language barrier.





Any advice would be great. Even if you could tell me how to ask in french I believe that would be helpful.



Thanks! Merci!




|||



Hello,





I hope you are enjoying your stay in Paris. It may be too late for me to respond, but on the off chance that you may check back before heading to Versailles, here is my suggestion, for what it%26#39;s worth.





My son travelled to France last year. He had a eurail pass, and was intending to use his free RER privileges for his transfer from CDG to Paris. He was told that the pass would have to be validated for the day -- a flexi-day, I assume- - in order to benefit from the free passage.





I agree that the guidebook is not very clear on that, and I%26#39;m not sure it is even in the fine print. It may be wise for you to simply pay the RER fare so as not to waste one of your travel day tickets.





Have fun!




|||



YES...you can use a Eurail Pass for travel on the RER (not the regular Metro) but it would seem a dead loss to use up a full day%26#39;s travel validity for a 2-to-8 € RER fare.




|||



Thanks much. We will just pay the fare to avoid confusion. I do not want to risk them thinking I want to use a flexi day.



Thanks again!




|||



Yes I have used it to go to Versailles but ONLY because I had a spare day. It does count. The other problem is exiting the station in Paris as it does not go in the turnstile. Fortunately I had a carte orange ticket so no problem.




|||



We ended up just paying the RER fare of 6.20 Euro per person. Much easier than trying to discuss with railway personnel. Besides, navigating the turnstile at the end would have been a problem (requires you to keep your ticket and submit it at the end).




|||



To enjoy FREE travel on RER or any non-train transportation (like ferry ), your pass must be valid on that day, that means a flexi-day will be used. Discounted travel(when available), on the other hand, does not require a flexi-day.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:25 am, August 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment