Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Air Cond. July Rental. So much to think about.....

As if there is not enough to already think about, do I need to narrow the seach to apts with Air cond?



I have posted earlier and have gotten great info. If you dont mind reading here is my situation:



Traveling to St Raphael for 3 weeks for a summer school with 2 teenagers, then to Montpellier for 2 days to drop off son with family friends and then on to Paris with 17 year old daughter for 2 weeks before meeting back up with son, then on to the U.S for a month, Then back to Saudi Arabia ( yes there is another story)



As you can tell it is costing a bundle so saving money is essential but of course want as much luxury as possible.



So looking forward to the 2 weeks with my daughter in Paris and feel like I have looked at every apt sight. Of course want a good, safe location as we will be walking as much as possible. I have gotten great info from an earlier post from %26quot;sistereurope%26quot; and someone mentioned that for July look for air conditiong! Not as easy as it sounds, very few apt with air.



Are we going to be sorry it if we cannot find an apt with air?





Thanks to everyone on this forum, such nice people



~Kristi




|||



Hi Kelmani





It is not easy to find apartments with A/C





I found this one when I was looking up a different apartment earlier this month and like it because it has (some) A/C and it has a terrace and has 2 doubles and a sofa bed if your son will stay with you. The location is superb in the best part of the Marais and 10 minutes walk to the Seine near the Islands. It has available dates in at least half of July so you might find it suits you.





Downside is that the main bedroom is on a %26quot;mezzanine%26quot; with a big drop of 3 feet to the next level at the end of the bed and only a couple of feet to walk around it if you are on the %26quot;wrong side%26quot; and the cost is 220 Euros a night for 3 (it is 25 Euros a night more for 4 people) and there is no lift - it is on the 3rd floor - I think that is the 3rd floor not counting the ground floor (ie French not US 3rd floor)





If you and your husband dont mind sleeping in an old fashioned sized %26quot;double%26quot; you could take the %26quot;safe%26quot; bed in the alcove and your daughter could have the %26quot;safe side%26quot; of the mezzanine bed. I really like the look of the place, especially the terrace for meals and just lounging.





http://www.vrbo.com/36071





Here are three of the many rental agencies you could try but you must enquire if the place has A/c. The first has good reports from a couple of other people on this forum.





http://www.paris-be-a-part-of-it.com/





The second agency is the one I had a very good experience with last October and I will give you the link that shows the flat I rented (and you can look at others too of course on its home page). It did not have A/C but had a fan and has big windows on the street and the courtyard that kept blowing shut in the wind when I was there so is likely to let in any breeze that is around in July. It is available for most of July. I did a check for 5 nights from 10 to 14 July to see the sort of price you would pay and it came to 112 Euros a night, which is great for 3 as compared to a hotel room it is HUGE.





There is a sofa bed and a queen bed and it is very comfortable and spacious. The cat that belongs to the people %26quot;in the roof%26quot; (very nice people as was everyone I bumped into in the Courtyard) is amazing, as it gets around on the gutter 3 floors up and fell once to the bushes in the courtyard and lived to hang out on the roof again. BTW, the WC is off the living area near the front door and the bathroom (decent size with bath and shower over) is near the sleeping area. The kitchen is adequate for simple meals and well equipt and has a washing machine/dryer that has some tricks so if it suits you and is available for your dates, let me know and I will give you more information on its intricacies.





parisaddress.com/paris-apartment-rental/…





This agency is the one I almost booked but its cancellation policies were a bit tough given I was booking about 8 months in advance but they are reasonable closer to the time - ie other agencies have similar policies but they do not apply from booking time. Isabelle is a delight to deal with and was honest with me about the cancellation policy and not at all unpleasant when I told her I had decided against her places on that basis. Her flats are charming and worth a look and state whether they have A/C





apartment-in-france.com/paris-apartments.htm





Good luck and I hope you find what you want




|||



Faux, thanks for the info I will check the sites you gave me. No husband on trip, just daughter and I so really dont need much more thana studio or one bed would be great. Son will be with us just for one night before flight to the states. Part of the reason I am so excited, lots of good mother daughter time.




|||



Hi Kelmani





The flat I stayed in would be ideal as you and your daughter could share the queen bed and when your son arrived for a night he could have the sofa bed. With just the two of you the one with the terrace would be 200 Euros a night but I do love the terrace




|||



As you have discovered, many apartments in Paris, even quite expensive ones, do not have A/C. Most Parisians do not have A/C in the apartments they occupy year round and somehow manage to survive. This is not to say you shouldn%26#39;t take A/C into account but I wouldn%26#39;t necessarily make it a pre-requisite. A quiet location that will allow you to open the windows at night plus the provision of adequate fans may make an apartment without A/C a very viable candidate — and if you happen to hit a cool rather than a hot spell you will probably wonder why anyone suggested you might need A/C in the first place.



I was going to add that you should be able to deal with any heat you might encounter since you are from Saudi Arabia but you probably are accustomed to A/C so that may actually work the other way. In addition Paris is more humid than Saudi Arabia.



It certainly sounds like you are embarking on a grand adventure! Good luck with your search!




|||



Hi Kelmani





I have booked an apartment without A/C in July but I made sure it had a balcony, opening windows and fans....I booked through Tripseurope.com and their service has been excellent to date (haven%26#39;t stayed there yet!) but they have very reasonable prices.




|||



Hi Kelmani,



I don%26#39;t know how much luxury you feel you can afford but Paris Perfect apts. are top of the line and as of this month they should all have A/C. I have stayed with them for a total of 6 months through the last few years and they are 1st class.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 26, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment