Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Traveling with child and mother via rail with luggage?

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked. I searched the forums and was unable to locate anything like this :o)





I will be traveling with daughter and mother from Amsterdam - through Germany, Switz %26amp; into Paris via ICE, IC %26amp; TGV. I have never done this before so I am wondering if we keep our luggage with us at our seats or if it is stored. If it is stored do we have time to collect it before the next train if there is very little time between transfers and such.





Our first train is the ICE from Amsterdam with a transfer to IC into Heidelburg HBF.





Our next run is from Heidelberg to Bern via IC %26amp; ICE where we are staying at the Hotel City Am Bahnhof.





Then finally from Bern to Paris via EC %26amp; TGV (this takes us to Paris Gare de l%26#39;Est) . We are considering staying at Villa Saint Martin. The reviews look pretty nice and it is said it is just two minutes walk from the train station which would be wonderful for my mother. Any other suggestions for hotels would be wonderful!





I am hoping that this will not be very stressful on my mother. We look foward to traveling via train, but have absolutely no idea what to expect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.





Thank you,



Sima




|||



Bump -- try again




|||



Each train is different. Sometimes you keep luggage with you and store it in an overhead compartment or between seets that are back to back. If you have huge pieces however, they are stored in an area between each car. There is enough time to get it but you have to move rather swiftly.



I do not know how old your child is or how fit your mother is and that can make a difference.



I would not stay near gare de l%26#39;est. Get a metro i.e. line 7 and stay at a hotel on that line. Much more pleasant than Gare de l%26#39;Est. Palais Royal or Opera are on that line.




|||



I have done quite a bit of train travel with my two girls. As the only adult responsible for three valises (they wheel them to/from/through train, I get them on/off/stored) I make sure the bags are light!



As you pull into a station you have some idea that you are arriving, so you can get up early and have the bags ready to de-train before the train even stops. It is certainly do-able, but again, think small with the luggage.




|||



Thank you for the advice. My daughter is 13 and my mother can walk pretty well on level, but long distances and a really fast pace will bother her. I thought of using one suitcase for her and me. I am a super light traveler. My dauther can manage hers very well.





Thank you for the advice on the hotel location. I received some input for that area and was told isn%26#39;t wasn%26#39;t the best choice for us. I was trying to minimize having to take luggage onto the metro to get to the hotel, but it looks as if we will have to do it.





I am finding it difficult to locate a nice hotel that won%26#39;t cost so much (175 euro or less per night) for a room that will allow 3 people. My daughter can acutally fit on a childs rollaway (she is very petite for her age) but most of the hotels will not allow the third person in the room. Any suggestions would be appreciated.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:26 am, August 25, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment