Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Musée de l’Orangerie

Oh, I went to Musée de l’Orangerie last Friday. I must say, it is a triumph! Not only is the building simply stunning, the water lillies are fantastic and the exhibits downstairs are just fabulous.





One word of caution: only go if you have the Museum Pass. There must have been 200-250 people in line with a wait time of about an hour. However, if you had the MP, there was no wait at all.




|||



Pixfield,





I have to second your opinion of the l%26#39;Orangerie. It is just spectacular. We went in November, I told husband and kids they had no choice, and I almost cried when we got in. I loved every room. Also, have to agree about the museum pass. When my 19 year old daughter saw the long line of people waiting in line in the rain I thought she was going to have a fit. However, those museum passes allowed us to bypass the line and the rain. They are worth every penny in my opinion.




|||



I went there on my Sept. trip. The cafe was not yet open. Did you check it out..it just seems like a spectacular spot for a glass of wine or lite lunch!





There was a great temp exhibit there too in Sept. I was prepared for the Monets but not the depth of the rest of the artists downstairs!




|||



No, we went in November and only looked at the exhibits, did not know of the cafe. Maybe it was not finished. I have to say I really liked the De la Tours. Quite impressive.




|||



I totally agree pixfield and geordy - I loved the water lillies of course, but the downstairs simply blew me away...definitely at the top of my don%26#39;t miss list. Maybe it%26#39;s the size? And even though we had to wait in line, once inside I didn%26#39;t feel too overwhelmed by the crowds.



I agree about the MP and the lines too - we didn%26#39;t have one, and it was a COLD wait of at least 45 minutes...




|||



Sistereurope,





Most definitely next time you go get a pass it is worth it. I read your earlier posts regarding your trip with your children. We took ours in November. While I am glad they ahd the experience, I plan on going next time without them.




|||



me too, lroccafor - no lovely children next time :)



Actually I want to take my mom...she%26#39;s never been and we actually are good traveling companions. Although I told my daughter that I%26#39;d take her back after she graduates in 4 years...hmmmm, I guess I%26#39;ll have to go back (at least) twice!!!




|||



Cafe? I missed it! Well, I guess I just will have to go back.





By the way, the museum has an opening time of 12:30 which I thought was a bit unusual.





Also, I noticed le Jeu de paume was nearby. I have never been there. Any comments?




|||



Jeu de paume is a vast space and IMO has rather abstract photographs. I didn%26#39;t under stand the exhibit by Rineke Dijkstra in Feb 05 and I had given a thought to going in March but again I didn%26#39;t think we would understand the photo show this time either.





I find Maison Europeenne de la Photographie much more satisfying.




|||



Sistereurope,





I would like to go with my best friend. Although I will probably let my husband go too since he is as caught up in travelling now as I am. I was really afraid that he would not like Paris being the big Texas Fireman that he is. He absolutely loved it and can%26#39;t wait to go back. I was so relieved. I would have felt terrible leaving him at home to go!!!!!!!!.. Seriously, we are counting the days and college tuition for 2 until we can go again.





Like Pixfield, I did not see a cafe at l%26#39;Orangerie




|||



pixfield, the Orangerie opens the same time as all the other museums, BUT is only available to tour groups in the morning hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment