Thursday, April 19, 2012

Paris to Tours by train

I will be landing in Orly about 15:35 (3:35 PM) on 27 May. I would like to immediately go by train to Tours for two nights. My last night in France (29 May) I will spend in Paris as my flight leaves from there the next day to Boston at 13:30 (1:30 PM).



I understand that there are high speed TGV trains from Gare Montparnasse to Tours. I believe I will first have to go to that station. I used it last October to go to Chartres.



Any information as to schedule or travel details would be appreciated.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Any information as to schedule or travel details would be appreciated.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





You can look it up yourself at voyages-sncf.com




|||



There are several direct TGVs daily from CDG to St-Pierre-des-Corps, the TGV station serving Tours. Use Roissy as your departure station when looking for them, that being SNCF shorthand for the CDG TGV station.



Read ths page by MorganB before booking your tickets if you want to get the lowest possible discount fares. RailEurope will be happy to sell you tickets and drain much more cash than necessary from your wallet in the process. Or you can buy them direct from SNCF and save all that extra money for a good bottle of Chinon.



http://tinyurl.com/qpdef




|||



Thank you ajeleonard for the URL.



IrishRovr, I am glad you sent the URL for the forum post on how to buy tickets on SNCF. I did as the article advised and saved something like $32 (40 euros vs US $86 on Raileurope). I think I can get from Orly (coming up from Lourdes so not CDG) to Montparness Gare without much difficulty as I only have one bag.




|||



%26gt;%26gt; I think I can get from Orly (coming up from Lourdes so not CDG) to Montparness Gare without much difficulty as I only have one bag. %26lt;%26lt;





There is a bus service between Orly and Gare Montparnasse : the Air France coaches, line #1. A real breeze.




|||



Sorry about all the irrelevant stuff about direct trains from CDG. You clearly said you were arriving at ORY. I blame it on the lateness of the hour and the fact that we had been out with friends just prior to my posting...



OTOH perhaps you can use the info to take a TGV to CDG in time for your flight home — unless you would rather spend your last night in Paris, that is.



The link for the Air France coaches SHD mentioned is www.carsairfrance.com. No question that is the easiest way if you are travelling solo.




|||



IrishRovr,



The information you gave me has been very useful. I%26#39;ve done the same thing on Flyertalk in replying, not reading the post really carefully and always late at night.



I will use the Airfrance shuttle to Montparnasse as you and Superheterdyne suggest. Easier than possibly lugging the suitcase up and down stairs on the metro. I decided to spent my last night and morning in Paris on the left bank tdo get a bit of a Paris %26#39;fix%26#39;.




|||



(coming up from Lourdes so not CDG)





If your starting in Lourdes and not Paris, I think you can get the TGV direct from Lourdes to St Pierre des Corps (Tours)




|||



RosLondon is correct. There are at least a couple of direct TGVs daily, taking about 5.5 hours to make the trip. It is alao possible to make the journey by TGV with a change either at Bordeaux or Poitiers and there may even be other routings. I think most indirect trains would probably take 6 hours or longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment