Thursday, April 12, 2012

How to enjoy Paris in spite of the Marathon

Our last day in Paris is coinciding with the Paris Marathon, much to our dismay as we are not wild about crowds. Can anyone give us some advice on what to expect as far as how crowded restaurants, transportation etc might be. How can we plan our day around this?




|||



Paris is a huge city of millions that receives major conventions weekly. I have only once ever been aware of the marathon and that was because I was trying to cross Rivoli just as the runners were passing by.



Really, you are very unlikely to even know it is going on.




|||



when is the marathon? I%26#39;m planning to go to paris next month, and I would like to avoid it.




|||



The marathon is on Sunday, April 15th, you can find a map of it by searching %26quot;paris marathon%26quot;.




|||



I%26#39;ve been in Paris for two Marathons. It is NOTHING like being in NYC for our Marathon. I went to the Bastille specifically to see the runners go by and was shocked that all the the outside cafe tables were not filled! Alot of the running is actually by the river . And as it is pretty much over by mid day/mid afternoon on Sunday I would not worry about it.




|||



I%26#39;m quite sure that you won%26#39;t notice %26quot;crowds%26quot; during the marathon. As a previous poster said, Paris is full of tourists almost every day of the year, and certainly during July.





Since marathoners have special dietary requirements, most of them stay in apartments where they can carb load to their hearts%26#39; content, so you won%26#39;t notice anything out of the ordinary in local restaurants. There may by marathon fans in them, but there would have been Louvre fans or l%26#39;Orangerie fans there any other night. A busy restaurant in Paris is a busy restaurant, no matter what the season or event.




|||



Thanks for the input, it sounds like we can plan our last day pretty much as we like.




|||





Here is a map of the course. It looks like if you%26#39;re in the Latin Q you%26#39;ll be fine but other areas could be alittle more tricky. I was in Paris last year during the running and it didn%26#39;t impact me in the slightest since I went out to Longchamp that day for the races. It just so happens I%26#39;ll be back again this year as well also during the event.





parismarathon.com/marathon/…r1_parcours.html




|||



I love TripAdvisor so much. When I discovered we were arriving in Paris the same day as the marathon I started to worry. Then I thought I%26#39;ll just go ask the TA forum people. Lo and behold you%26#39;ve already set my mind at ease. 37 days and counting to the City of Light. (Who%26#39;s even counting that it is 44 days until my 50th?)




|||



YOu probably wont%26#39; even realize it%26#39;s going on!



Bon voyage!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 23, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment