Thursday, April 12, 2012

What do these words mean?

What on earth is the distinction of the words %26quot;kid friendly%26quot; and %26quot;yummy%26quot;? I%26#39;ve learned to tolerate the misuse of advice and advise, but what on earth do these other words/phrases mean?




|||



I use yummy often, so felt compelled to see if it was within the realm of advice v advise (that one jars me, as well)... it is in the dictionary and has been around for over a century, so I shall continue to use it :



Main Entry: yum·my Pronunciation: \ˈyə-mē\ Function: adjective



Inflected Form(s): yum·mi·er; -est Etymology: yum-yum Date: 1899



: highly attractive or pleasing; especially : delicious, delectable



Kid friendly, on the other hand, boggles my mind. I mean, I know what it means, but I am raisng my kids to be world friendly and do not expect the world to accommodate them...




|||



Maybe %26quot;child-tolerant%26quot; instead? :)





I think people just want to know if their children will be accepted and comfortable in some hotel and dining environments.




|||



%26lt;%26lt;but I am raisng my kids to be world friendly and do not expect the world to accommodate them...%26gt;%26gt;





phread I absolutely love that. That%26#39;s how we tried to raise ours and we%26#39;ve had 25 years to discover we haven%26#39;t screwed it up. Thanks for putting it so elegantly.




|||



kid friendly, gay friendly, pet friendly......means theese groups are welcome at an establishment. it may also mean that things have been done to accomodate that specific related group, i.e., a restaurant may have a kid%26#39;s menu, a hotel may have a dog walking area, etc. But in generally, it just means kids are welcome, etc.



Yum or Yummy? I use that word all the time. Usually when I%26#39;m just too lazy to use all three syllables in deeeelicious.




|||



I would say that the word %26quot;delicious%26quot; is a trifle bit yummier than the word %26quot;yummy%26quot;.




|||



Hmmmm. I might have to rethink that, Shoesy. Cuz actually, I think the potatoes at Le Petit Prince are %26quot;delicious%26quot;, but I think Bertillon White Chocolate Ice Cream is %26quot;yummy.%26quot; And I don%26#39;t think I would ever confuse the two.....in either sense.




|||



ArrowCapet - I%26#39;ve never had the pleasure of tasting those potatoes, but when it comes to Berthillon, I%26#39;d have to say that neither adjective, (i.e. %26quot;delicious%26quot;, %26quot;yummy%26quot;,) can do their ice-cream justice. A more appropriate word would have to be %26quot;divine%26quot;.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:23 am, March 08, 2007


|||



You should be ashamed of yourself, Mascara. If you want to be a nasty poster, go ahead and do so. But don%26#39;t use someone%26#39;s child being hit by a car to make your point. You awfrul, awful, horrible woman!




|||



How does being backed over on a sidewalk (TRAGIC thought for anyone who has a small child) have anything to do with not expecting the world to accommodate your child? I%26#39;m not making that connection here....that comment seems pretty hurtful and I don%26#39;t understand why.





Anyway, I have two toddlers and for me, %26quot;kid friendly%26quot; is a place where I can bring my children and won%26#39;t get %26quot;the glare%26quot;. Plus, in the U.S., it%26#39;s a place that has a children%26#39;s menu.





I think when they are a bit older and more flexible I will be much more like phread, not expecting crayons and paper everywhere they go!





Les

No comments:

Post a Comment