Thursday, April 12, 2012

Are reservations necessary?

In reading sistereurope%26#39;s trip report, it made be wonder if reservations are always/usually going to necessary at the bistro%26#39;s that we want to go to. We don%26#39;t intend to do much, if any, high end dining - and I%26#39;ve done a lot of research on this forum and found many, many places that we%26#39;d like to eat....but I wasn%26#39;t planning on having a telephone with me, and so I hadn%26#39;t really given much thought to reservations?





Is that really dumb?




|||



Yes, we did have some trying times due to not having reservations! But remember, we were there during the week between Christmas and NY - busy restaurant times. Plus a lot of places were closed.



That said, it depends on the place. If you list the places you%26#39;re thinking of visiting, maybe the experts could tell you if a res is necessary, and if so, how far in advance. I would think that for bistros you could certainly wait until you get there. You might even be fine without any, but if I had it to do all over again (don%26#39;t I wish :), I would definitely have made reservations for at least a few more nights. I had done a lot of research and had really wanted to try all the places on my list!!!



We did manage to get a res for Chez Denise (made by our French friend) and Le Reminet, two places that were on my list. Are you staying in a hotel? I would think that the desk clerk could make some for you. If you%26#39;re in an apartment, you should have a phone.




|||



Well - one of the places I%26#39;d like to try and get to is Chez Denise, plus many others that I just can%26#39;t think of now......and I did wonder if the hotel could make reservations if I asked them politely! We don%26#39;t really want to be tied to a schedule, you know, but I realize that might %26#39;DOOM%26#39; my plans for certain eateries. thanks for the reply!!




|||



You%26#39;ll need reservations for %26quot;famous%26quot; restaurants (those with Michelin stars) and the less expensive, but really superb restaurants that regulars know and enjoy. Everything else could easily be a walk-in. Early same day or previous day reservations are usually fine for the %26quot;local secrets%26quot; and your hotel should gladly help you make those plans.




|||



Thanks very much - I think then we%26#39;ll just go with you %26quot;non-plan plan.%26quot; and hope for the best!!! We have so many places that we want to eat, we might not have time for anything else!!! except walking to burn off all the calories, of course....4 days IS NOT going to be enough!




|||



Four years has NOT been enough!!!




|||



But, you know, I think it%26#39;s really important to set aside one really good meal that requires a reservation. It is something that you will tell you friends/family about and you will remember for years. After all, how frequently do you get to the traditional capital of cuisine? You don%26#39;t need to spend a lot to get a great meal, and I do think it%26#39;s worth setting aside about 100-120 euros for a very good meal and wine at a trusted local favorite.




|||



But, you know, I think it%26#39;s really important to set aside one really good meal that requires a reservation. It is something that you will tell you friends/family about and you will remember for years. After all, how frequently do you get to the traditional capital of cuisine? You don%26#39;t need to spend a lot to get a great meal, and I do think it%26#39;s worth setting aside about 100-120 euros for a very good meal and wine at a trusted local favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment