Thursday, April 12, 2012

alone in paris

I am a female planning a September trip to Paris. Would like recommendation for romantic, Parisian hotel and some sightseeing ideas. Do you think it will be safe to be on my own? Am planning on being there 4 full days. Always wanted to go to Paris, just turned 40, nobody is taking me there, so I am taking myself.




|||



First of, good for you! There are several (at least) previous threads here about solo travel to Paris. I urge you to look them up and read them, for encouragement, if not the information. There are lots of people who actually prefer travelling solo for a variety of reasons. You will have a terrific time!




|||



Hi Sue,





Yes, you are safe on your own.



I have traveled to Paris on my own and, in some ways, enjoyed it more than when I had a companion. For example, I love art and I tired of always being with someone who didn%26#39;t share my enthusiasm. Thus, my trips to d%26#39;Orsay and the Louvre were shortened as a result. The part that was more difficult is the American discomfort of having dinner alone. A companion would%26#39;ve been nice for that.



As far as where to stay and what to do...that depends on your personal enjoyments. If you like to shop, then I%26#39;d suggest Concorde St. Lazare which is near the Au Printemps (and other stores) department store. If you like art, then staying in the enchanting St. Germain area would put you in walking distance to the Louvre and d%26#39;Orsay.



This website has a listing of %26quot;100 things to do in Paris%26quot; which I though was pretty good.



Best of luck with your travels.





Rich




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:47 am, March 12, 2007


|||



Yea for you!!! I also add that you will be safe. I%26#39;ve had a few solo trips to Paris....and not trying to sound cliche or anything, but, it really does wonders for the soul and you find out a lot about yourself - at least I did.





One of my most memorable solo days was spent at Pere Lachaise. I didn%26#39;t spend the whole day there, but a good chunk of it. I really took the time to walk the grounds and search for famous people burried there. I think an added spark to that was it was All Saints Day (Toussaint, Nov. 1st).





There are countless things for you to in Paris. And by going solo - you chose everything you do and on your own time-frame!





Happy planning!




|||



I%26#39;m sorry to hear about your trouble. But, fear not! Even without funds, Paris is a great place to window shop. Especially walk down rue Faubourg St Honore and Ave Montaigne. It%26#39;s where the other half shops:) I%26#39;m sure you will find Paris a balm to your spirits. Be good to yourself and find a hotel with deep bathtubs for all your bubble baths!




|||



You people are all wonderful. I will keep reading............




|||



Sue -





Good for you.





I%26#39;ve been travelling to Paris alone for years - interspersed with occasional trips with the husband. I%26#39;ve stayed in many different areas of the city. Since I can seldom plan very far ahead, I have to take what I can get in terms of hotels. Everywhere I%26#39;ve stayed, I%26#39;ve been safe on the street at all hours of the day and night.





I think that one of the most romantic areas of the city is Ile St. Louis and it%26#39;s about as central as one can get and still have a quiet location. Also, I can%26#39;t remember the name of it, but I%26#39;m sure someone else can supply it, the hotel from the Audrey Hepburn film, Charade, has had a face lift in the last 3 or 4 years, and might be an idea for you.





Nobody in Pars will make you feel uncomfortable dining alone except your self. Many Parisians dine alone so you%26#39;ll not be unusual, but if you need a distraction, use this time for your post cards. I always take sets of N%26amp;A labels for my postcards and when I buy the cards. I get the postage immediately so that I can get them off my to do list as quickly as possible.





Doing the research for your trip is truly half the fun, so be sure to make notes about which attractions interest you most. A decent map will allow you to group things into neighbourhoods and you have the start of an itinerary. Just try to keep it loose so that you can adjust to weather and cafe breaks as well as some aimless meandering, which in Paris is the very best kind.





I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll have a great time. Bon voyage.




|||



Bonjour Sue,





When doing your research and planning don%26#39;t pay to much attentiont to the %26quot;musts%26quot; you will see in the guidebooks. A four days introduction is a bit difficult but it can be done. Keep in mind your personal interests and dislike and don%26#39;t let any book or person tell you that you must visit or do this or that.





When you have some sort of itinerary post it here and we can suggest or correct it. The best part of a trip to Paris is the part you did not plan: the atmosphere, the majestic beauty that suddenly hit you, the sitting looking at the world go by while repeating Oh my G*d I am in Paris





. Don%26#39;t worry about doing it all, Paris is not going anywhere and as Sabrina said %26quot;Paris is always a good idea%26quot;





A bientôt.








|||



Being on your own in Paris has its definite advantages. Since there are so many places to visit, you will be catering to your own needs and nobody else%26#39;s. You%26#39;ll be able to spend as much time as you want at any sight, and you can skip whatever you think won%26#39;t interest you. Furthermore, you%26#39;ll get to choose every restaurant you dine in. I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll love Paris like the rest of us.




|||



You smart,smart woman. Good for you for putting yourself first and going to Paris alone. If I could I would be on a plane tomorrow by myself and would relish every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment