Tuesday, April 17, 2012

5 nights, 6 days in Paris, have I missed anything?

My boyfriend and I will be in Paris this August. My itinerary includes the following sites:





Eiffel Tower (7e)



Château de Versailles



Moulin Rouge Show



Cathédrale de Notre Dame (7e)



Centre Pompidou (4e)



Luxembourg Gardens



Le Marais



Musée du Louvre (1er)



Concorde and Arc de Triomphe



Champs-Élysées (7e)



Catacombes de Paris (14e)



Basilique du Sacré Cœur



Montmartre (18e)



Tuileries Garden



Latin Quarter (5 %26amp; 6e)



Sainte Chapelle (1er)



Musee D%26#39;Orsay





Overly ambitious, I know... but you%26#39;ve got to give me credit for trying!





Anything to add or remove from this list? Your views would be greatly appreciated.





Tress




|||



I would swing by the l%26#39;Orangerie museum when you are in the Tuileries Garden. It house Monet%26#39;s Waterlily paintings and also a collection of Renoirs, Picassos, De la Tours, etc. I,personally, would skip the Pompideau Center. Unless you like modern art.




|||



Thanks lroccafor, I%26#39;d overlooked the l%26#39;Orangerie museum. I%26#39;ll add it to the list!





As for Pompidou, I%26#39;ll read up a bit more about it.





Any thoughts on which museum to do if choosing between the Louvre and D%26#39;Orsay? I%26#39;ve heard through friends that D%26#39;Orsay is more impressive/enjoyable than the Louvre (if I%26#39;m happy to forgo the Mona Lisa that is)?








|||



It%26#39;s hard to compare the Orsay and the Louvre.







I love the Orsay for it%26#39;s impressionist floor.







I love the Louvre for - well just about everything that is there. The Winged Victory, David%26#39;s %26quot;Coronation of Napoleon%26quot;, %26quot;The Wedding at Cana%26quot; by Veronese....









Both are great museums.




|||



OhMyGod YEs! You%26#39;ve ommited the Picasso Museum--HUGE error!!





Also, I%26#39;d forego the Tuleries in favor of more time in the Luxembourg Gardens--but if you have more time, the Bois de Bologne is also wonderful.





But the real question is have you allocated AT LEAST one third of your time for simply walking Paris%26#39; wonderful streets and bridges and parks and eating and drinking therein?




|||



If you%26#39;d like to visit a restful museum, drop by the Rodin, If it is a cloudy day, St Chapelle, in my opinion can be skipped - but a MUST SEE if the day is sunny. Strolling is good, too.




|||



I%26#39;d also skip Centre Pompidou - and also some of the other museums suggested in the replies (Picasso) - UNLESS you are very much into art and paintings. With only 6 days you will have your hands full just staring at everything from the outside, so to speak - PLUS sitting in cafés watching the world go by, soaking up the atmosphere.



A museum visit (e.g. Louvre) is a real time-robber, as is standing in lines to get up the Eiffel Tower. And Versailles is a full daytrip - definitely worth it, of course - but you%26#39;ll have to prioritize.




|||



Thanks everyone, your tips have been fabulous. My list of %26#39;things to do%26#39; is now very long but extraordinarily exciting to look at!





I agree, it was unfair of me to ask anyone to choose between the Louvre and D%26#39;Orsay, both incredible I%26#39;m sure. Time will determined whether both are achievable I guess.





Picasso Museum has been added (thanks jkotler). Pompidou has been flagged as a %26#39;maybe%26#39;.





Interesting point you make about La Chapelle Codyody. Let%26#39;s hope there%26#39;s at least 1 sunny day out of 6 to make visiting it worthwhile!





I agree GitteK, I%26#39;ll try not to over engineer this itinerary - strolling and watching the world go by definately needs to be done.





Tress




|||



Interesting that you added the Picasso Museum and flagged the Pimpidou as a %26#39;maybe%26quot; given that there are Picassos on display at the Pimpidou. Why not decide for yourself what you want to see in Paris? Or would you rather let others decide for you?




|||



Traveldudey wrote:





%26gt;%26gt;Interesting that you added the Picasso Museum and flagged the Pimpidou as a %26#39;maybe%26quot; given that there are Picassos on display at the Pimpidou. Why not decide for yourself what you want to see in Paris? Or would you rather let others decide for you?%26lt;%26lt;





I think the fact that she posted her itinerary here and asked for input may suggest she wants those with more experience help her decide - no? There%26#39;s no way she can do everything on her list in 5 days and therefore needs opinion on which places to leave out. She has no obligation to take any advice given her.





By the way, it%26#39;s Pompidou not Pimpidou (tho%26#39; some french may argue it%26#39;s a better fit)




|||



Well what with the Les Halles petrin, I rather like Pimpidou.

No comments:

Post a Comment