Thursday, April 19, 2012

Paris Itinerary . . . Comments Welcome!

My husband and I are taking our 18-yr-old daughter to France in July in celebration of her high school graudation (lucky girl, right?!?!?!). Our first stop is Paris, and it is really the only stop where we%26#39;re spending a significant amount of time. We will be staying in a friend%26#39;s apartment in the 7th. I would love to hear your comments/suggestions on our planned itinerary for the city. Thanks in advance!





Wednesday



o Arrive Paris 9:45am



o Shopping in Rue de Rennes (6th)



o Luxembourg Gardens (6th)



o Climb Eiffel Tower 7:00ish pm



• Dinner at Le Grand Colbert



Thursday



o Fat Tire Bike Tour 11:00am-3:00pm meet at south leg of Eiffel Tower (includes stop for lunch in Tuileries Gardens, L’Orangerie?)



o Shopping in Le Marais, Rodin’s Sculpture Garden Pompidou (4th)



o Le Lido: 9:30pm (8th)





Friday



o Versailles in morning



o Galeries Lafayette fashion show 3pm



o Louvre



o Bateaux Mouche



o Bastille Day dances: public out-door dances going on in Place Sulpice and Place de la Contrescarpe





Saturday, July 14, 2007-Bastille Day



 Champs Elysees for parades 9am-noon (get there at 8am)



 Fireworks at Tour Eiffel 10:30pm





Sunday, July 15, 2007



o Paris to Blois




|||



On first glance, since you are staying in the 7th, I would probably visit the Rodin museum the day you arrive, rather than squeezing it in with the Marais on Thursday.



Your daughter will love the bike tour, fun idea.



Friday is WAY too full. I don%26#39;t see how you can do it all. When I get to Versailles by 9 a.m., I never get back to Paris to do something else by 3. I would scrap the fashion show (they aren%26#39;t really that great anyway, IMO). ANd I am not sure doing Versailles and the Louvre on the same day is a good idea either. Kind of sensory overload, if you know what I mean...



What are you doing on Saturday? You seem to have an entire day to fill...





Les




|||



Also, There are some fantastic restaurants in the 7th....maybe on that first day you could have dinner in that neighborhood, then climb the tower after dinner and see Paris twinkle beneath you. That%26#39;s always very special....




|||



You did check a map, right? - the Rodin is in the 7th near Invalides, the Pompidou and Marais are closer together.





Place de la Contrescarpte is *tiny* so that%26#39;s going to be very crowded!




|||



Les68, thank you for your comments! The reason we%26#39;ve left Saturday open is because it%26#39;s Bastille Day, and I wasn%26#39;t sure what would be open museum- and shopping-wise. I%26#39;ve searched the TA forums, and the only thing I found out for sure is that restaurants will be open, so we won%26#39;t starve to death! :) If you have any more info on things we should plan for that day, I%26#39;m all ears!





And, thank you for your comments regarding our Versailles day. My daughter is a fashionista, so the fashion show is really not negotiable! ;-) We could definitely shift the Louvre visit to another day, though. I%26#39;ll keep playing with it!




|||



Travelnutty, thanks for your reply! I did look at a map, but it%26#39;s very possible that I made a navigation error - it wouldn%26#39;t be the first time! I%26#39;ll re-map that day a bit . . .




|||



I noticed that on your first day, you are planning to go up the eiffel tower at 7pm before dinner. This reminds me of last summer when my wife and I tried the same thing. We got in the massive line, and stayed there for about an hour and a half, and then had to leave just before we got to the front because we had dinner reservations (anniversary) that we figured we%26#39;d miss if we went up (don%26#39;t forget that you have to line up to come down as well). Just make sure that you have lots of time between the eiffel tower and your reservations on that first day. The tower is NOT a 30-45 min drop in.





Have a great trip.




|||



IMO your Friday schedule is an impossibility. I don%26#39;t know anyone who could do justice to both the Louvre and Versailles in one day and survive the experience, let alone fit in a G.L. fashion show in between and then add a full evening of activities afterwards.



There is only so much you can do in three days, given that July 14 is a major holiday. Something has to give...




|||



Les, do you have any restaurant suggestions in the 7th for dinner on our first night? I%26#39;m all ears!!!!




|||



jclayton, thank you for your input on the eiffel tower - we may take les%26#39;s suggestion and climb the tower after an earlier dinner in the 7th on our first night - that way we won%26#39;t be rushed to make a reservation.




|||



irish, i agree - our friday schedule is too crazy! we definitely will tweak it before we go. thank you so much for your input!

No comments:

Post a Comment