Thursday, April 19, 2012

Avignon Car Parking

I am travelling from Chateauneuf to Avignon during August which everyone says will be extremely busy. As I only have a few hours for a very quick look around, I was proposing to take %26quot;Le Petit Train%26quot; and visit the Palais des Papes. Can anyone advise how long the standard tour of the Palais takes? Is it likely that at that time in the morning in August, I will get parking at the P de P or should I be looking to the free parking at Ile de Piot or indeed elsewhere? If it is thought that I de P is best, where exactly on the island is the parking so that I can work out a route? Ant suggestions/thoughts would be much appreciated.




|||



The most convenient parking to Palais du Papes is the underground lot, entered from the River (pont) side. It is signed as Mercure Hotel entry and parking. In August, you should see lots of tourist buses parked there as there are places for them at the entry. You can walk up from that parking lot and be right in front of the Palais and the Petit Train stop. That is where I always park. I can%26#39;t remember the hourly fee, but believe me, if you get a spot there it is worth it. I think I pay somewhere around 4 euros to park for 3 hours - don%26#39;t quote me.





Since you will be there in August, you MAY find that it is full. The earlier you arrive, the better your chances.





The free parking is further on, just beyond the pay parking mentioned above. In August, it is almost always full. Of course there will be people coming and going, so maybe you will get lucky. People tend to park in that area like ants gather on a hill - in every possible position, location. Often making it hard to get in and out. If you park there, be careful not to hem yourself in.




|||



I agree with Toutou.





Get there early and you will not have a problem and you also avoid some of the bus crowds.





It is a few years since we did the Palais but as I remember you get a handset and listen to facts as you go around.





We are very quick at sightseeing and went around in about an hour prefering the vineyards of Chateauneuf to the Palais.




|||



Bouche - You%26#39;re my kinda guy !




|||



Thank you Toutou - you have brightened my otherwise dull Monday.




|||



Not much excitement here either. Still cloudy and rain is in the forecast. We need it very badly though, so I can%26#39;t complain.





It is the winter school break here, so I am hosting a sleep over. Ain%26#39;t life grand !





I would much rather be wine tasting in Chateauneuf or anywhere else for that matter ! Or even fighting for a parking space in Avignon. The list could go on.




|||



No Toutou you did not want to be fighting for a parking space in Avignon like I did yesterday.!



I think everyone has come to visit us even though it is school holidays!



To make it worse I think every road in Vaucluse is being worked on this week before they go back to school next week!



At least the weather was fantastic yesterday afternoon. Love Provence



ESCARGOT




|||



Hello there Escargot - Things are still pretty dead round here. I guess, even though it is Region B%26#39;s winter break, I wouldn%26#39;t have thought Avignon would be very busy these days.





Oh well, I%26#39;ll be there this Friday as it is my daughter%26#39;s birthday and she wants a new pair of tennis shoes (fancy ones). I%26#39;ll be heading to the Footlocker to be drained of what I%26#39;m sure will be a ridiculous amount of cash, then lunch in the city.





There better be spots at the Mercure garage.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 21, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment