Thursday, April 12, 2012

Vacation Rental Contracts. Correct procedure.

I have confirmed and received from the lessor scanned page of the signing page of the rental contract. She has signed this page as lessor. However she says she cannot airmail to me the signed contract. Therefore I am expected to pay the rental deposit ( not security deposit) on the strength of this scanned page from her in order to secure my booking. Is this standard practice? In Malaysia, a scanned/photocopy document is no evidence of a contract. Only an original signed document will do. This rental listing was posted on parisnet.com. Should I proceed.




|||



I%26#39;m an apartment owner, and I wouldn%26#39;t send money on that basis if I were renting an apartment. She may not be out to cheat you, but is too cheap to pay for the airmail postage. If that%26#39;s the case, she%26#39;s probably to cheap to be offering you a nice apartment, too. I%26#39;d say %26quot;Beware%26quot;.




|||



When we rented in November, we took the contract signed it and scanned it back to the apartment owner and then he did the same. In the end we had a scanned signed contract and had no problems. However, I did as much research on the apartment owner as I could by checking references and slowtravel for any reviews. It is very scary to rent an apartment but we had a positive experience.




|||



Perhaps I misunderstood the original posting. If you%26#39;ve signed a copy and sent it to her and she just wants to fax you back a copy that has her signature, too, that%26#39;s probably okay. It may not have legal weight in Malaysia, but she%26#39;s probably not aware of that. Our clients pay their deposit before ever receiving a contract, but we do talk personally by phone at the beginning of the transaction. Both parties must feel comfortable with each other.




|||



I would still have no redress whatsoever if i were to arrive in paris having paid full rental and damage security to find that the whole thing was a hoax, and that there was no such apartment. How can I protect myself from this.




|||



Well we had a contracat with our signature and his although it was scanned each way. I felt safe because our renter has various apartments for rent and a website and as I said I looked for references and reviews. I even e-mailed VRBO to make sure there were no complaints and everything was fine.




|||



If you want to be sure of the existence of a rental why don%26#39;t you ask the Tourist office to give you some addresses? (even better with a proper website)



All the apartments on their lists have been checked and rated so no problem.



Good luck! :-)




|||



Truffaut is right, there has to be a level of comfort between the two parties. Speaking on the phone to someone who answered every time we called certainly helped calm our nerves. I would most definitely rent from our person again as everything was as stated.




|||



Also, since the property is located in France, any legal issue would have to be resolved in France. So your country%26#39;s laws wouldn%26#39;t be particularly applicable, anyway.




|||



Pay by credit card. Your liability is $50.





If you were to go after anyone, you would be bound by the laws and regulations of france/paris, not Malaysia.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, August 18, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment