Monday, April 16, 2012

Is this good road atlas?

I noticed the Collins Road Atlas France is about $10 to and weighs only about 9 ounzes. The Michelin Atlas is more costly and weighs 3 pounds which is kind of awkward when traveling light. Has anyone used the Collins Road Atlas in France? Comments?





Les










|||



It is 1;700,000, which will give you 3 1/2 times less detail than the Michelin. I have a 1:1 000 000 map book, and that is really only good for the major roads (for instance, it only shows 2 of the 4 departmental roads that go through my town)





If you are travelling on Autoroutes only, the Collins will be fine. It will really restrict your ability to navigate off the main roads, though.




|||



Wizard, thanks for the insight on the map detail. Sound like I just should buy the Michelin maps that cover the areas we will be in -- cheaper and lighter alternative.





Our 9 day route is from Rouen up to Bayeux (including Honfleur). Then over to Dinan. Then down to the Loire Valley in the Amboise area with drop off of car at an airport outside Tours.





From what I can tell the Michelin Normandie map 513 and the Centre map 518 would be best. Could purchase on Amazon for around $9 each.





Les




|||



%26gt;%26gt; From what I can tell the Michelin Normandie map 513 and the Centre map 518 would be best. %26lt;%26lt;%26lt;



Sounds good to me. You might could use the Île-de-France map for the area around Rouen, the Bretagne map for the Dinan area, and the Pays de Loire map for the area west of Tours too — but I admit I am a map junkie...




|||



Thanks IrishRovr.





If anyone is wondering where to purchase Michelin maps I found them at a good price on The Book Depository at www.bookdepository.co.uk. For the maps the price was better then going through Amazon and they offer free shipping to the U.S.





Les




|||



I just got the michelin atlas for france for our upcoming trip. Its heavy, but I prefer it over the fold up kind. I like being able to turn right to the page I need. I hate trying to find where we are on fold out maps every time you get in the car. I use post it flags for the pages I need and the navigator can find the correct map with ease. It also have many town maps in it-like Tours. It also has a huge index, so finding that tiny village is easy.




|||



Try the IGN maps - they are available at





MAP LINK INC



30 S. La Patera Lane, Unit #5



Santa Barbara, CA 93117



CALIFORNIA - USA (1) (805) 692-6777



(1) (805) 692-6787





custer@maplink.com





the list of maps is here www.ign.fr/rubrique.asp?rbr_id=470%26lng_id=EN




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 17, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment